Saturday, February 16, 2013

Fitting In the Budget

Setting up a gluten free kitchen can get very pricey. Every recipe calls for so many different flours and various ingredients. I have found that the cheapest way to buy ingredients is online. I found this super cute website: Nuts.com It is a family based company and super friendly. Buying in bulk can also get expensive when you have a tiny budget as myself. I have found however, that this is cheaper even if you don't buy the big bulk bags. Plus it comes right to your door! What could be better??

Some ingredients that I have found are essential in my gluten free kitchen are:
White rice flour
Brown rice flour (these are generally interchangeable however some recipes call for a mixture of both so in those cases it's nice to have a little of whichever one you use less on hand)
Tapioca starch (flour and starch are in most cases interchangeable but the starch is cheaper)
Potato starch
Potato flour (potato is the exception, these are different. I buy more of the potato starch because it is used more often. I have a little flour on hand for when needed)
Cornstarch
Gelatin
Xanthan gum (pricey up front but recipes will only use a little at a time)
Dry milk powder
Sorghum flour
Flaxseed
Apple cider vinegar. This smells nasty but it makes things very yummy!

Then of course the general baking essentials like baking soda, etc.

If there is an ingredient that is only used sometimes in recipes (i.e. millet flour) don't stress about buying everything at once. Get the essentials to make one recipe you use often like bread, then work from there. Every time I make an online purchase to stock my pantry I choose something else like this last order I added potato flour to my kitchen.

Hope this helps!!

No comments:

Post a Comment