Saturday, February 16, 2013

Drum Roll...

Last spring I was getting very painful stomach aches. They were so painful I would just lay on the couch all day long. One morning I ate a big bowl of cereal and soon after the stomach ache came on again.
My best friend from high school was diagnosed in junior high, as well as the her mom and siblings, with Celiacs Disease. Her mom had been telling me since I knew them that she thought this is what was wrong with me. So I decided to give it a try. After that one bowl of cereal I knew I couldn't go on like this any longer.
So I cut wheat completely out of my diet. Of course I didn't really know what I was doing so I would often get contaminated. I soon however, noticed quite a difference. My stomach aches left completely. I also noticed that the aches in my legs I had had my whole life had stopped. The doctors always told me it was just growing pains. Told me to take more calcium. But nothing seemed to help until I cut wheat out of my diet. Also my appetite returned. Before, I would spend an hour in the kitchen looking for something to eat and come out with my hands still empty. But now I wanted to eat everything in the fridge! I had energy, I was happier and I felt awesome. I knew I could never go back.

Things were rough at first. I struggled finding things to eat and I struggled with the cost of Gluten Free items. I would be tempted to pick up a burrito or eat a hot roll that the waiter stuck under my nose. I finally feel like I am getting a hold on things but I have needed a little help along the way!

Here I am, a poor newlywed, trying to afford all of the needed ingredients for this diet. So I decided to start a blog. I am not a particularly good cook, I am impatient, blond, and often burn things. But hopefully over time I will improve! Maybe this blog will help me to want to get better :)

Please feel free to comment with your ideas and experiences!!

-Helplessly Trying

No comments:

Post a Comment