Friday, March 1, 2013

Buttermilk Pancakes

I have tried a few different pancake recipes and they all turn out... "gluten free" tasting. Not that that is a bad thing but sometimes it's nice to feel like a normal person ;)
This morning as I was looking through my trusty 1000 Gluten Free Recipes by Carol Fenster recipe book, I found a recipe for buttermilk pancakes. I almost went right past it to the "regular" pancakes because psh, I don't have buttermilk in my bare fridge. I decided to take a look though and it had a recipe to make buttermilk! I didn't know this was even possible and I happened to have the ingredients.

Buttermilk Recipe:
1 T cider vinegar
1 C milk

That's it! Beautiful. The pancake recipe calls for 1/2 C buttermilk so I halved the recipe.
Put the vinegar in a measuring cup then whisk in the milk. Let stand for 10 minutes to thicken slightly.

Pancakes:
1 C Carol's sorghum blend (I added another tablespoon at the end to make it thicker)
2 T sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp xanthan gun (I almost forgot this ingredient... I trust you're smarter than me:) )
1/2 C buttermilk
2 T unsalted butter (usually I have the salted kind but my wonderful husband did the grocery shopping this week and didn't know the difference and bought the unsalted kind. Turned out good in the end!)
1 large egg
1 tsp pure vanilla extract

In a mixing bowl, whisk together sorghum blend, sugar, baking powder, salt, and xanthan gum. Then add buttermilk, butter, egg, and vanilla. Mix together until fully blended. Then let the mixture sit for 5 minutes to fully mix. Then check for consistency. This is where I added an extra tablespoon of sorghum blend. If it is too thick, add a little milk. You want it to run a little when poured into pan but not too much.

Pour into pan. I am obviously not all about making my food look beautiful... as long as it tastes good, I'm happy!


You'll want to flip it when it gets little bubbles on the surface. You can also use your spatula to lift a side and see how the bottom looks.


I like mine with butter and warm maple syrup. I'm sure other toppings would also be delicious!

Look how fluffy this is! If you often cook gluten free you know this is not common. 



......


Told you I always burn things. Word to the wise, don't blog and cook at the same time. :D

I thoroughly enjoyed these pancakes and I hope you will too :)

No comments:

Post a Comment